YPARD is collaborating with the Expertise France’s Post-2020 Biodiversity Framework EU Support and FAO on the development of a policy paper on driving transformative changes through decent and green job creation for youth, with a special focus on agri-food systems.
We want to highlight some views or messages of key youth groups/initiative about the opportunities for transformative changes to occur through youth engagements in agriculture-related green jobs, especially in the context of post-COVID-19 recovery.
What is a Green Job?
Work in agricultural, manufacturing, research and development (R&D), administrative, and service activities that contribute(s) substantially to preserving or restoring environmental quality. It includes jobs that “reduce energy, materials, and water consumption through high-efficiency strategies; decarbonize the economy, and minimize or altogether avoid the generation of all forms of waste and pollution." (UNEP, 2008)
Examples of agriculture-related Green Jobs
- Environmentally friendly food production: organic farming, composting through reusing residues (e.g. crop, livestock and fish waste, and wood residues), beekeeping, water conservation, agro-processing and agroforestry
- Energy production from renewable sources: production of biogas from animal manure or crop residues
- Landscape maintenance and biodiversity protection: environmental conservation/ protection and sustainable land management
- Climate change and environmental research, development and policymaking
- Environmentally friendly activities in the countryside, eco-/agro- and sustainable tourism, including on-the-farm agro-processing to be served to clients
If you will like to include a key message from your organization on this topic, please following these instructions
- Send us a short blurb or commentary in English, must not exceed 50 words
- Submission should be made by 27th July 2020