The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the internationally recruited position of Postdoctoral Fellow, Yam Agronomist. IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
The tasks will include to:
- Develop soil fertility management practices to optimize yam yield.
- Evaluate yield potential of improved yam varieties grown in high and low fertility soils.
- Evaluate advanced breeding clones and local varieties for NUE, tuber yield, quality and nutritional values.
- Develop yam selection scheme that includes value-added traits.
- Investigate yam plant nutrient uptake from soil under different fertilizer regimes.
- Investigate the impact of fertilizer on growth and tuber yield of yam.
- Supervise at least two local staff and ensure their efficient work under the project.
- Prepare manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals listed in Thomson Journals, give presentations at conferences directed both to the scientific community and to stakeholders.
- Develop research ideas and contribute to novel research proposals for submission to external funders.
- Write annual technical reports in both Japanese and English languages.
The candidate should have a PhD in Yam agronomy or agronomy, crop physiology and any related field.
- Basic knowledge of yam agronomy, physiology and production.
- Theoretical and software knowledge of data management and statistical analysis.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate and to work in a multicultural environment.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
The appointment is from April 2017 to March 2018 with possibility of contract extension subject to availability of funds. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
Applications: Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).
The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/careers
Closing Date: 20th December 2016
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.