Open position at the Thünen Institute of International Forestry and Forest Economics, Hamburg, Germany.
The Thünen Institute of International Forestry and Forest Economics, one of 14 specialized institutes of the Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries, invites applications, for a fixed duration of four years, for a Specialist in Landscape Modelling.
The position is available within the project “LaForeT - Landscape Forestry in the Tropics: Towards Policy Approaches for Improving Livelihoods, Conservation and Sustainable Management of Forest
Landscapes in the Tropics“
- Multi-temporal analysis of deforestation and reforestation patterns based on Landsat, NDVI or other data sources for selected countries of Africa, Asia and South America;
- Classification of different (agro-) forestry-and agricultural land use types based on high resolution satellite imagery (e.g. RapidEye, Quickbird);
- Landscape modelling based on land-use simulation models (e.g. Dinamica EGO, CLUE-S or others), and incorporation of policy scenarios;
- Contributions to the development of a database management system for integrated management of geo-data and interdisciplinary field-data sets;
- Scientific analyses and publication in international scientific journals;
- Collaboration in the research project, including supervision of student workers, advising of PhD students and development of complementary research projects.
- Advanced university degree (Diploma/M.Sc.) in geography, forestry sciences; landscape ecology, or related disciplines, Doctoral degree is an asset;
- Profound knowledge and work experience related to the tasks described above;
- Experience in multivariate statistics;
- Publications in international scientific journals;
- Excellent knowledge of English;
- Ability to work in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams and to work independently;
- Willingness and ability to travel in the tropics;
- Basic knowledge and willingness to learn German.