The “Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund Deutschland (ASB)” is a German aid and welfare organisation with more than 300 branches at national, regional, district and municipal level all over Germany.
More than 1.2 million members provide a broad social basis for our organisation and more than 20,000 employees as well as over 17,000 volunteers form part of the ASB ensuring a high level of quality in areas such as rescue services, civil protection and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB has acted as a politically and denominationally independent association ensuring a high level of continuity and reliability. ASB Foreign Aid Department provides both direct emergency relief to people hit by man-made or natural disasters and longer-term rehabilitation measures designed to promote recovery and to rapidly help restore the livelihood of refugees, internally displaced persons and other vulnerable people. ASB currently has a portfolio of more than 100 relief, rehabilitation, development and DRR projects in countries like Bosnia, Georgia, Haiti, Indonesia, Iraq, Kosovo, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Philippines, Serbia and Ukraine.
Operational in Northern Iraq since 2014, ASB has been working in the refugee and IDP camps in Kurdistan Region of Iraq around Dohuk and Zakho in the sectors Health, WASH, Livelihoods and Protection.
The Agricultural Livelihoods Program Manager will be in charge of the overall leadership and strategic development of the ASB Agricultural Program in North Iraq in coordination with the Country Representative. This includes the oversight, overall management and budget monitoring of the agricultural rehabilitation operations, liaison with the relevant DoAs, representation of ASB at the cluster and other relevant meetings, taking the lead in defining ASB’s agricultural livelihoods sector strategy in Northern Iraq in the coming years and searching for funding to drive the strategy. He/she will report to the ASB Iraq’s Country Representative and work closely with the Finance/ Admin Manager.
- Project Management: manage the implementation of the agricultural livelihood project, including supervising and monitoring the projects and programmes implemented through local partners. Timely development and submission of required project documentation according to ASB and donor regulations including project case studies, proposals, assessments and evaluations, interim and final project reporting.
- Strategy development: take the lead in defining ASB Iraq’s agricultural livelihoods sector strategy in the coming years and updating and refining the strategy as more information becomes available and as the situation changes.
- Fundraising: take the lead in both researching funding opportunities and ensuring quality proposal submission.
- Representation: liaison and representation activities with the DoA, Government of Iraq and the Kurdistan Regional Government, municipalities where relevant, the United Nations, the INGO community, donors, partners, the Media and other external stakeholders.
- Partnerships & alliances: maintaining existing, as well as building new agricultural livelihoods partnerships and alliances.
- Financial oversight: supervision and control of financial expenditures and oversight of financial management systems related to the agricultural livelihoods portfolio to ensure full-compliance with both ASB and donor financial policies, procedures and practices in close cooperation with Admin/Finance.
- Degree in agriculture and/or advanced degree in Agriculture or Natural Resources Sciences or a related field.
- Minimum 5 year’s proven experience in technical or operational positions involving rural or agricultural project management.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in establishing systems, implementing project start-up and using project management tools.
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and sustain interpersonal and professional relationships with host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, the private sector and international donors.
- In-depth knowledge of donor regulations, compliance and reporting (preferably FAO, WFP, AA, BMZ, IHPF, EU etc).
- Experience developing sectoral strategic plans.
- Proven understanding of key monitoring and evaluation principles and the ability to analyse and utilize data to direct project activities and track project progress.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Experience of complex conflict situations.
- Understanding of the social and political context within the Republic of Iraq including the Kurdistan Region of Iraq through previous experience working in the Republic of Iraq. Established relationships with government agencies, key agricultural personnel, and agricultural/food security livelihoods partners
- Appreciation for socio-cultural differences in countries, preferably having lived and worked in one or more low resource settings
- Awareness of, sensitivity to, and experience working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi-cultural staff and groups
- Ability to develop productive working relationships with counterparts in other agencies and organizations nationally
- Fluent in or a working knowledge of Arabic, Kurdish and/or German will be an asset
How to apply:
ASB is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants should send a Letter of Motivation (max. 2 pages) and a CV specifically addressing the above job description and requirements with contacts for 2 recent professional
referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the subject line: “Agricultural Livelihoods Program Manager North Iraq”
Find the original job advert on the Devnet jobs website.