The University of Florida (http://www.ufl.edu) and The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) are seeking an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented Crop Modeler. The position focuses on developing and using wheat crop modeling tools within a portfolio of wheat foresight and targeting research and expects to actively link to both biophysical and social scientists to help prioritize, guide and target research-for-development (R4D) investments for maximum impact for the WHEAT Consortium Research Program.
The position contributes to and draws on the experiences of a large multi-disciplinary R4D team working for CIMMYT across the target continents with direct support from UF’s wheat crop modeling team. The position is originally envisaged as a Post-doctoral Fellow (PDF) but promising more senior candidates will also be considered. The successful candidate will be a member of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program but work in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s Wheat Program and the University of Florida and with local and international partners.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico), but will interact with other CIMMYT offices around the world on a regular basis.
- Adapt and use crop models within CIMMYT’s research portfolio in the target regions with a specific focus on wheat. In particular to analyze wheat system dynamics at different scales, including implications of global drivers of change (e.g. climate change) and wheat pipeline technologies/innovations.
- Apply crop models to develop decision support tools for foresight and targeting, including integration with GIS tools and bio-economic models.
- Use findings to help prioritize, guide and target research-for-development (R4D) investment needs.
- Publish findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes
- Ph.D. in crop modeling or a related field from a recognized institution.
- Direct experience in crop modeling, including some experience in model construction, programming, statistics.
- Active interest and preferably experience in multidisciplinary research, social science, foresight and targeting, GIS and/or bio-economic modeling.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Established potential to publish in international peer-reviewed journals.
The selected candidate will be issued a University of Florida contract. The employment contract is for two years with possibility of further extension based on performance and the continued availability of funds.
Candidates must apply here for 16816 UF Wheat Crop Modeler. Received applications will be reviewed as they come in. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Picture credit: CIMMYT