The World Centre for Sustainable Development (RIO+ Centre) is seeking to engage an intern who is passionate about international sustainable development and about social media and communications for dialogue with governments, academia and civil society.
The RIO+ Centre is a partnership between the Government of Brazil and UNDP to serve as a legacy of the Rio+20 Conference. As a hub for dialogue that leads to social, environmental, & economic justice, RIO+ works with a broad range of people and institutions to create the momentum needed for a transformation to more sustainable development pathways. As a global Centre based in the south, RIO+ is committed to identifying policies, practices and perspectives that are rooted in the Global South.
The RIO+ Centre works towards the following objectives:
- Produce and disseminate evidence on policies and practices that are successfully addressing the social, economic and environmental dimensions of equitable development
- Trigger broad-based dialogue around the development, implementation and monitoring of sustainable human development
- Strengthen coalition building and networking for the increased participation and voice of underrepresented institutions, countries and communities in the adoption of equitable development at the national and global level
Duties and Responsibilities
Working under the guidance of the Policy Specialist and under direct supervision of the Deputy Director of the RIO+ Centre the social media and communications intern will:
- Work closely with RIO+ colleagues to research, design, draft and post content (text and visuals) for RIO+ Twitter and Facebook accounts and other social media channels
- Build and track growth of accounts
- Support production of stories and content for website www.riopluscentre.org and RIO+
- Support communications coverage of RIO+ events (live streaming, photos, live tweeting, etc)
- Support outreach and advocacy for online dialogues
- Demonstrated experience and interest in online social networking;
- Strong organizational and research skills;
- Strong editing and formatting skills, graphic design skills are an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience working collaboratively in a team structure in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work independently;
- High proficiency with MS Office and social media tools
- Enrollment in graduate studies in the areas of international development, environmental studies, journalism, new media, or related
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and fluency in English are required. Knowledge of
- Portuguese is preferred. Additional UN languages are also an asset;
- Knowledge of sustainable development issues and United Nations processes on sustainable development
Please send letter of interest and cv to email@example.com. Also please specify your availability of dates, hours and possibility to relocate temporarily to Rio de Janeiro. This is an unpaid position.
Ideally seeking minimum of 4 months, full time.