Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition (GODAN) is an International NGO composed of over 900 partner organisations from more than 115 countries across the globe.
GODAN was conceived in 2013, where G7 leaders committed to the creation of a mechanism designed to promote the use of open data to stimulate knowledge and innovation in agriculture and nutrition. This led to the constitution of GODAN.
The UK Department for International Development (DfID), as an up-and-coming leader in the use of digital technologies in agricultural production and food security, has recently launched the new eDIAL (Enhancing Digital and Innovation for Agri-food systems and Livelihoods) programme. GODAN has won a substantial grant to focus on impact as a central part of eDIAL.
In this context, the M&E and Research Coordinator will play a senior role in ensuring the sound and efficient implementation, documentation and reporting of GODAN programme activities.
This new role offers an exciting opportunity for a candidate with experience in managing international development activities. The post is ideal for a candidate with extensive experience managing, monitoring and evaluating projects on behalf of large, institutional donors.
The post holder will ensure technical excellence in data management, research and donor reporting across all DfID funded GODAN programmes.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the successful candidate will build and maintain collaborative working relationships with key DfID staff in both the central London headquarters and regional Africa offices, as well as with other strategic partners in the implementation of the GODAN programmes.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead GODAN Secretariat’s donor reporting, focusing on strategy, programme implementation, deadlines and organisational methodologies.
- Ensure technical oversight on all monitoring and evaluative functions and maintain compliance.
- Work with GODAN partners to ensure development of strong data collection (to Data Quality Standards); develop and maintain M&E processes.
- Produce, support and coordinate high quality, evidence-based research done on behalf of GODAN.
- Empower a culture of learning and innovation at all levels, including identifying cross programme synergies and opportunities for learning and collaboration with DFID and other donors.
- Represent GODAN in donor/partner meetings as required.
GODAN seeks a hardworking and highly motivated individual with significant experience managing high-level donor-funded programmes, preferably on the African continent:
- At least 8 years’ relevant experience in international development, including at least 3 years overseeing and reporting on programmes funded by large institutional donors; experience in working with DfID programmes highly desirable.
- Experience managing open data programmes with links to agricultural and nutrition, ideally funded by bilateral or multilateral organisations, or major foundations.
- Proven technical leadership, with a strong background in M&E and research.
- Master’s degree in relevant technical competency area or equivalent; PhD desirable.
- Strong financial, administrative and budget management experience.
- Excellent intercultural communication skills – experience interfacing with partners, including DfID, developing and emerging market government ministries, key multilateral agencies, and local staff.
- Ability to work flexibly, outside of normal office hours, and in difficult conditions.
- Strong attention to detail, highly motivated with a proven ability to meet conflicting deadlines and prioritize tasks.
- Fluency in English (oral and written) mandatory; French and/or Arabic desirable; additional language an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook) and e-mail.
A competitive salary and benefits package is offered. The position will be based in the GODAN Secretariat in Montreal, Canada, with up to 30% travel away from base, sometimes in physically demanding or security-sensitive environments. This is a full time, fixed term position initially set for one year, renewable.
How to apply
To apply, please send your CV, a detailed cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your background meets the qualifications, along with three professional references to email@example.com with “M&E AND RESEARCH COORDINATOR” in the subject line of the e-mail. Please mention in your cover letter where you heard about the position.