MENU

Show contents for

Senior/Principal Researcher and Head of Office, IWMI-Southern Africa

The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a motivated and highly competent individual for the position of Senior/Principal Researcher and Head of Office, IWMI-Southern Africa. The selected candidate will lead and undertake high-quality policy-focused research on water and land resources management primarily in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) region, and in other parts of Africa, as required. The candidate will also carry out the duties as Head of IWMI’s Southern Africa Office in Pretoria, South Africa, and will represent the Institute in the region. The candidate will allcoate 30% of their time to duties as Head of Office, and the remaining 70% to research and research uptake activities. Within IWMI’s matrix structure, the selected candidate will have a dual reporting line to a Theme Leader on research-related issues, and to the Director, Africa, on office administration and management activities, partner relations and research uptake.

Minimum Qualification & Experience

  • a PhD or equivalent experience in a discipline relevant to the position (e.g., agricultural economics, political science, water resources management, agricultural engineering) with at least 10 years of relevant work experience;
  • experience in empirical policy-relevant research in developing countries, especially in sub-Saharan Africa; and
  • demonstrated experience of program management and administrative procedures, budgeting and business development.

Skills & abilities

  • demonstrated knowledge and research experience relevant to IWMI’s overall mission in water and/or agricultural water management in developing countries as well as knowledge of the functioning of the CGIAR system;
  • a deep understanding of water, land and agricultural development challenges and opportunities in the Southern Africa region;
  • demonstrated skills in managing programs and personnel, including experience of forming, operating in and leading interdisciplinary teams that have delivered high-quality outputs on time and according to budget;
  • strong communication skills in both written and oral English, including the capacity to write proposals, reports and academic papers, and to communicate research results to stakeholders at different management levels in multiple countries;
  • strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers, managers and other stakeholders in a multicultural setting, with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
  • the capacity to work with and influence partners, especially senior decision makers at national and regional levels; and
  • the ability to liaise with key donor agencies.
More