Fairtrade International is a non-profit, multi-stakeholder association of 23 member organizations – three producer networks and 20 national Fairtrade organizations. We are responsible for the strategic direction of the Fairtrade system, the Fairtrade Standards and support to our member organizations worldwide.
The Communications Manager serves as the primary link between the Fairtrade International communications team and the communications staff across the Fairtrade system (national Fairtrade organizations, new markets and producer networks).
The Communications Manager works closely with Fairtrade’s national Fairtrade organizations and producer networks to ensure consistent messaging, align brand and communications strategies with Fairtrade International, support on communications and media issues. Additionally, in the case of producer networks and smaller markets, the Communications Manager works with these organizations to develop their communications and PR capacity.
Principal roles and responsibilities:
- Ensure communications staff across all Fairtrade members and in new markets are fully apprised of Fairtrade communications strategy, messaging and support tools available, by continuing to run our existing induction programme.
- Keep in regular contact with producer networks and newer markets/staff to provide support and advice for their communications activities and link them with appropriate support where necessary to build communications and media competencies. This includes leveraging the knowledge and expertise of fellow team members in Fairtrade International communications; digital and content strategy, brand, social media, news media etc.
- Oversee development and updating of centralised messaging and Q&A documents, both on core Fairtrade principles and on current issues or developments within the Fairtrade system. This also includes dissemination strategies for recent studies and impact reports, in collaboration with other units at Fairtrade International.
- Work in collaboration with the Media Relations Manager to provide appropriate support to members in dealing with media requests.
- Produce Fairtrade International’s monthly internal newsletter
- Lead and execute other projects and events as assigned.
- Keep informed of developments and innovations in the fields of internal and stakeholder communications. Use this information to inform strategy and actions in the area of communications.
- Undertake other tasks that are consistent with the level and responsibilities of this post
Degree in Communications, Languages, International Development, International Relations, or similar field
Knowledge / job specific competencies:
- Three to five years’ experience working in a communications role
- Proven track record in working across internal stakeholders and supporting the dissemination of internal communications
- Knowledge/experience of one or more of the following:
- The fair trade movement and its role and impact in promoting development;
- International development issues;
- Ethical trade or social corporate responsibility.
- Demonstrable ability to drive forward work on own initiative and decision-making including priority setting
- Experience in the management of project delivery to time and to budget
- Languages: Fluency in English and writing skills to native level essential. Other relevant languages desirable (particularly Spanish, or to a lesser extent French/German).
Terms and conditions:
- This is a full-time maternity cover position for twelve months.
- A one year limited contract is offered, subject to passing of six month probation period.
- Location is at Fairtrade International offices in Bonn, Germany
- The office language is English
- Salary as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement for the Wholesale and Foreign Trade Industries for North Rhine Westphalia and Fairtrade International Company Agreement on wages and salaries Group 6a, plus an attractive benefit package.
- Preferred starting date: 21 August 2017
- 30 days of holidays per year
- Please consult www.fairtrade.net for more information on Fairtrade International and the Fairtrade system
- Please apply by email only, in English, with Curriculum Vitae and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, citing “Communications Manager (maternity cover)” in the subject line
Find the original job advert on the Devnet jobs website.