IFAD's Environment and Climate Division (ECD) focuses on the promotion of sustainable natural resource management, and climate change adaptation programmes that generate global and local benefits relevant to the IFAD target groups. The division also works in close collaboration with the five IFAD Regional Divisions and other departments to integrate environment and climate change issues into the organization's portfolio. An important element of IFAD's work is the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to visualize the spatial context of IFAD interventions and understand and monitor landscape use for effective project design.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the close supervision of the GIS Specialist, and in close consultation with Climate Change Adaptation Specialists, the Consultant will:
- Develop maps for specific programme design processes for ECD Climate adaptation, Knowledge Management and Regional Climate and Environment specialists .
- Contribute in the analysis of IFAD projects with a view on how many and which projects incorporate environmental sustainability and climate adaptation measures.
- Carry out the quality analysis of satellite data with a view on their usefulness in the context of IFAD projects and other spatial analysis on GIS data.
- Contribute in the updating of maps on IFAD's Environment and Climate web site;
- Develop at least one knowledge product on the use of GIS and Earth observation for climate adaptation planning
- Establish working relationships with the clients requesting GIS data and members of the assigned team
- Use the office equipment for reports and presentations and provide innovative tools for presentations related to the geo group activities
- Organize common data sets to be made available to GIS users in IFAD
- Provide methodologies to improve geographic data flow in IFAD
- Support any other GIS-related activities as require
- University Degree in Geography, Geomatics or Environmental Studies is required;
- At least 2 years of work experience in GIS and remote sensing is required;
- Training in GIS, and basis of remote sensing is required;
- Fluency in using ArcGis is essential;
- Good skills for map production and presentation is an advantage;
- Experience in geographic database management is essential;
- Good written and verbal communication in English. Knowledge of French or Spanish is an advantage;
- Ability to work well in a high-paced, multicultural environment is an advantage