FARA recently hosted a meeting October 20-22, 2014 in Nairobi, Kenya on FARA/CGIAR Collaboration Workshop on Climate Change, Youth Engagement, Food Security and Agricultural Transformation in Africa. The meeting took 1.5 days to discuss Climate Smart Agriculture and the second 1.5 days to obtain youth input on the development of a FARA youth strategy.
It was great to see so many familiar faces and what was consistently described by the experienced attendees as a very enthusiastic young crowd. Indeed, we had some passionate interventions from the representatives keeping the discussion interesting and lively.
YPARD Africa gave very strong input into the development of the FARA youth strategy. It is currently in ‘skeleton’ phase and FARA has committed to having another event in early 2015 to bring more stakeholders on board to flesh out the strategy. We intend that YPARD’s strategy will be closely aligned.
After the meeting we had a YPARD Africa meeting which gave us the opportunity to discuss some YPARD issues that we’ve been facing and get ideas from the representatives on how to better coordinate the network and try to match their enthusiasm (if possible).
Some of the discussion points include
- Funding is minimal for the region. It was agreed that national reps could use the funding to do one activity that could be impactful and have something to show to potential partners and donors. It was suggested that you attract attention with this activity and invite influential people to attend or use the funding to leverage additional funding from partners;.
- Collaboration with GYIN – Global Youth Innovation Network, where available.
- YPARD-Africa should respond to calls from selected development partners so that YPARD becomes very strong in fund-raising.
- Sub-regional representatives to liaise with YPARD CRs. Dependent upon volunteers who can commit time to coordinating regional hubs.
- CRs to put YPARD logos in their organizations. For those who have done this, what can we learn.
- Try to support youth looking for internship at YPARD country levels.
- Emmanuel Otieno Ngore, YPARD-Kenya Country Representative.
- Raymond Zvavanyanye, YPARD-Zimbabwe Country Representative.
- Ibrahim Sidibe, YPARD Mali Country Representative.
- Simon Wandila, YPARD-Zambia Country Representative.
- Obert Mathivha, YPARD-South Africa Country Representative
- Olawale Ojo, YPARD-Nigeria Country Representative
- Michael Osei, YPARD-Ghana Country Representative
- Jean-Claude Ndayambaje, YPARD-Rwanda Country Representative
- Msekiwa Matsimbe, YPARD-Malawi Country Representative.
- Donald Houessou, Representing Fréjus Thoto, YPARD-Benin Country Representative.
- Lalaina Nirina Rakotoarisoa, Representing YPARD-Madagascar Country Representative.
- Dibi Beatrice Amlan, YPARD-Cote d’ Ivoire Country Representative.
- Eric Mavaruganda, YPARD-Burundi Country Representative.
- Anke Weishet, YPARD-Uganda Advisor.
- Courtney Paisley, YPARD Global Director.
- Gbadebo Odularu, YPARD-Africa Regional Coordinator